Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Kafka on the Shore's Message About Learning Through Hard Times

As we humans continue to venture through life, we discover new things, set ourselves up to achieve new goals, and discovering our capabilities, learning new and important lessons in our lives. Unfortunately, a majority of the most important lessons of life are hard learned, learned from negative experiences relative to our own self-responsibilities and mistakes. This is something that I discovered both while trying to achieve my reading goal, and something I discovered and related to while reading my current AP title book, Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami .

Currently, my schedule and general activity of the moment has delayed my motivation/time to continue to fulfil my current reading goals, which was 5 books for the end of the semester and exploring more outlandish genres, but was I unfortunately confronted a lot more issues for accomplishing the reading goals I desired to achieve as the semester progressed. There were days I couldn’t read the 20 pages I set for myself because of tedious study sessions, other days I would suffer sleep exhaustion, and other days reason beyond my circumstances interfered, and I realized I didn’t know what I was doing or focusing on at times while I was reading.

This did not however, managed to mar my ability finish reading at least 3 books (The Hindi-Bindi Club by Monica Pradhan, Attack on Titan: Lost Girls by Hajime Isayama , and Mother Theresa by Navin Chawla ) so far, and currently almost finishing 2 more books (Living withSomeone Who’s Living with Bipolar Disorder by Chelsea Lowe and Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami) before the end of the semester.

While reading Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, I realized that the majority of the negative issues that I experienced were also very similar to the ones that the story recognized and explored. One of the most important issues that I was intrigued by was how the main character experienced an overwhelming sense of self-reliance and responsibility that decided on his survival. One line that highly interested me and expanded my understanding about how of life was this line: “Nobody can help you. That’s what love’s all about… You’re the one having these wonderful feelings, but you have to go it alone as you wander through the dark. Your mind and body have to bear it all. All by yourself.” (108)

Not only did this line highly related to me and my predicament regarding my self-discipline to achieve my reading goals, but it also served to me a general reminder that every single individual is completely responsible for his/her self, and that most of the time people (including me) cannot always rely on other people to help us if we are not willing to help ourselves by facing our own challenges head on. Negative times in our lives do not necessarily correspond with negative outcomes on one's life, it can merely invite one to seek out strength in one's self more tenaciously than previously before,

 Overall, the message of Kafka on the Shore conveyed further enriched my understanding of the importance of our negative aspects of our lives (such as being alone in times of peril) actually being capable of serving greater purposes to us in the long run; that we are destined to face our own issues.

  

1 comment: